Have you ever felt ignored, unimportant, annoyed, upset, disenchanted or as if you were a bother as a customer, patient, parent or student? Where your are basically…invisible?
The state of service today is disgusting to say the least. The latest research shows that only 4% of people will take the time to provide organizations with feedback. Why you ask? Because we don’t think it will make a difference. Because we feel…invisible. The other 96% of us will tell as many people as we can about our experience with your organization. And just in case that isn’t enough 59% of us turn to Yelp! or other social media sites to vent. You can include me in that percentage.
If your organization serves anyone, anything, then let this poem serve as a wake-up call.
I’m the person who asks:
“How long is the...